I have to admit that this week has gotten away from me a little bit. That is not to say that I’ve achieved nothing, but I haven’t been able to make as much progress as I had hoped.
One thing that’s become a significant aspect of my goal-setting over the past few years is flexibility. Simply put, I have learned that whenever I set a target I have to assume that it might change before it’s reached. Sometimes it stops being relevant, other times somebody else will move your goalposts. Sometimes other things come up that are more urgent, or more important, so that your original plan takes the back seat. And sometimes you may struggle with your health, road traffic, or other factors outside your control.
The key to keeping going is to expect a certain amount of unpredictability, and learn to maneuver around the obstacles that may pop up in your way. So with that in mind, here is a quick glance at this week.
What worked well
- I have been able to make time for reading most evenings. This has been great, and provides a good opportunity to unwind before bed. I’ve found the best time for reading to be the last hour or so before going to sleep. This is something I look forward to continuing in the coming week.
- As a consequence, I’m no longer browsing the Internet late into the evening, and have actually been able to go to bed on time this week! This means I managed over 7 hours of sleep every night, and 8 hours some nights.
- I am finding that a weekly review really helps me focus on the week ahead and be more aware of how I’m spending my time and whether I’m making progress. Definitely a habit to continue.
Focus for the coming week
- Set a reminder to carry on with the 100 pushups challenge! I completely forgot this week, and kept remembering at inopportune times (such as while driving).
- I think I’d like to attempt establishing a writing habit. I haven’t quite formulated how I’m going to do this – whether it will take the shape of daily journal pages, or scheduling more time to write for this blog – but I’ve realised I miss writing, and would quite like to regularly spend time converting thoughts into text.
- As a corollary, I think I’m ready to start another category of posts for this blog, one that would in a way be the key component of why I started this blog in the first place. This new type of posts will appear on Wednesdays – stay tuned to find out what they will be about.
And that’s all for now – onwards!